Wednesday 11 September 2013

#OCL4ED REFLECTION 1

I teach because of the passion I have in sharing knowledge with my students. The experience of walking into a classroom and having 30 or 40 pairs of eyes fixated on you, waiting for the first utter of knowledge from your lips, it is such a great honor and privilege indeed.  My country Fiji, has just started to adopt the E learning experiences, and I have just discovered what wonders it has brought to my country, in terms of making learning accessible, affordable and available through the availability of the internet.

OER has offered something more extravagant to our teachers. The problem that we face in the small island nations with accessing quality real time education resources can now be a thing of the past for Fiji. Sharing knowledge through OER is so wonderful.

It is truly stated by Aristotle that copying comes naturally to man, for that is how we begin our learning experience. Reflecting on that idea, I would like to mention here that our Pacific traditional and customary learning methods is through Oral History that is passed down from one generation to the next. A tradition that we continue to practice today. When there is a traditional ceremony, the younger generation are encouraged to attend and observe how ceremonies are conducted. Without an utterance, the expectation is there that learning through observation is the knowledge shared.

Students in Fiji are adapted naturally to the learning method that is encouraged in the flipped classroom model, "seeing and doing" is more effective than "seeing and thinking" therefore they are more prone to T.V.E.T Model learning. The video lessons available on Shared resources will enable teachers to be more effective and evolve from chalk and board to induce a more interactive and exciting classroom learning.

I have gained so much during these few sessions, and most of my learning is through the interactive method and sharing of ideas, using twitter and blogging. In all my life I have never used twitter, I have only heard about twitter, but this opportunity has got me hooked. Twitter is such a wonderful impromptu tool, as Dr Wayne has put it, and now I feel like twitting every idea that comes to mind while I am on the course. 

Furthermore, I have been empowered by the new knowledge I have gained from this session, and I have taken time to share some on this amazing technology information with my colleagues, who are now interested to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment